Friday, October 5, 2012

Apple, Chicken, and Cranberry Salad with a Creamy Homemade Dressing


Whoa.  I just typed the title and it was LONG.  Anyway...

I made some dressing today.  A ranch-type of dressing.  And I feel pretty darn cool right now.


What can I say?  Simple pleasures, my friends, simple pleasures.

It was pretty easy actually.  Just a few ingredients --


Buttermilk (or in my case milk plus some white vinegar, because I didn't have buttermilk), mayo (organic and unprocessed from Trader Joe's, since this is October Unprocessed month), white wine vinegar (um... champagne vinegar -- it's what I had), parsley (at least I think that's parsley... I just pulled it from my mini-herb garden), and some (sea) salt.

At least I got the salt part right.


I also made something like fried chicken.  Just not too fried.  I feel so domestic today.  All these new things that I have never done before...


The rest?  No brainer.  Throw some greens down, slice some apple and put on top, add a handful cranberries and the chicken, and drizzle the dressing on top.  A complete meal in a salad.  Score.

Simple pleasures.  They're a good thing.


Recipe adapted from Everyday Food, November 2011

PREP TIME: 20 min      TOTAL TIME: 30 min       YIELD: 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup unbleached flour
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs -- Trader Joe's has completely unprocessed ones)
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 pound fresh spring greens
  • 2 apples, such as Gala or Fuji, cored and cut into thin wedges
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions

  1. On a plate, season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a shallow dish, whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water. On another plate, season panko with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat chicken dry. Dredge chicken in flour, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Coat with panko, pressing gently to adhere.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken; cook until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total, flipping once. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Arrange greens, apples, and cranberries on a platter. Slice chicken, add to platter, and drizzle with dressing.

    COST: $7.97   COST PER SERVING (4): $1.99

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of simple pleasures. I`m totally all for them! ♥ This is great! I love eating meals that are simple to make. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple and delicious... the perfect kind, right? :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...